Thursday, January 28, 2010

haven't posted in like a week, but now that i'm squared away with school and everything else gone to hell in my life i figured i'd post! anyway, most of my classes this semester are pretty sweet. i'm taking intro. to creative writing, and playwriting as well, and i love them both. they're really putting my writing to the test -- i have to write constantly, read constantly, and apply what i've learned effectively. in both classes i feel a lot of competition, so that's good. i need to be around people better than me, and i need to really listen to what they have to say/write -- not be intimidated by it.

recently, i read a really great, short poem in one of my textbooks. it's by margaret atwood, and it's called "you fit into me." check it out:

you fit into me
like a hook into an eye

a fish hook
an open eye


when we read it in class, most of the other students didn't find it too amusing. "too short," i remember someone saying. i guess i could just really relate to it. we're focusing on structural irony in poetry, and i think this captured it perfectly. the first two lines offer the reader a metaphor which could mean a couple things, but it generally points to an idea of a fit or match with somebody. when you read the last two lines, they hit home -- for me at least. it screams "bad relationship." i just think it's a nice little punch to the gut. whatever you want to call it, that's irony for you, and i like it a whole lot. here's two short poems i wrote, a couple stabs at irony for myself.



"naive"

a friend of mine used to say,
when we'd talk about the pretty girls
we wanted to spend our lives with,
that, "when one door closes,"
well, you know. I didn't really
get the picture, though,
until I was standing on your porch,
where you slammed
your life shut
in my face.



"something clicked"

you have, no, new messages-
you have, no, new messages-
you have, no- click

and then something clicked

(click, click, boom)


that's it for now i suppose. let me know what you think, whoever you are. also, i'm writing a 10-minute play for playwriting, it's due monday so i'll have it up by then. i volunteered it to be read in front of class, so i've got to make sure it's decent. it's called "cocked," and i'll have it up here when it's done. you can only imagine what it's about ;)

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait for the play, its gonna be sweeeet.
    you should turn in "jumbo." one time haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a question about poetry, its probably stupid. I just want to know how you decide when to start a new line, like in the first one, is there a reason you didn't put "I didn't really get the picture though" all in one line? Just thought i'd ask cause I always wondered. Btw, i posted a new blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. mostly it's for giving breaks that give emphasis for certain words. you might want to break where it would otherwise seem awkward in order to give your lines different perception shifts and takes on words/sentences

    ReplyDelete

Followers