Sunday, February 21, 2010

recently in my creative writing class, we have been workshopping. workshopping, for our class at least, is when a student of the class brings in a poem to read aloud for the rest of the class. the writer/reader can offer no disclaimer before he/she reads. they just have to say the title, and read it off. after they read, they're not aloud to talk until the class contemplates and converses about the poem for 12 minutes. they can offer criticism, likes, dislikes, or just mull it over. after that, the poet has a chance to say what he/she wants, if he/she wants to say anything. i haven't been picked to workshop yet, and i'm still undecided as to what i want to bring in. the workshop is meant to be used as a tool to improve the poem and make it the best it can be. i don't know if i have the heart to bring in a poem of mine to be taken apart and reassembled, but i won't worry about that yet. for now, i have to pick one! here's something i wrote about the same relationship i always write about.

"like we used to say"

you stood up and
undressed yourself
laid your jeans on the
carpet, even slipped
out of your boyshorts,
my favorite. this time,
you didn't ask
for forgiveness.
your body was
an apology and
your flesh: regret
and you crawled
back to me
naked in my bed
into my arms and
into my heart and
into my head.
and
I want to feel your
imperfections
inside and out again
"forever,"
like we used to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers